Friday, February 4, 2011

Discussion Q #1

Subjective claim;
What is right and wrong depends on the individual and their beliefs. Whether it is actually true or not is not a factor.

Subjective example;
I had a brief talk with my coworker the other day about the movie "No Strings Attached," and how much my older brother loves it. He loved it so much that he admitted it made him "feel fuzzy on the inside." My coworker, however, did not enjoy the movie at all. He felt that it was not funny and that all the characters were either one sided or inconsistent. This guy talked about his dislike so passionately that it actually made me feel quite awkward; it almost felt like we were talking about some kind of controversy. Just because one person loves a movie, it doesn't mean that the next person will feel the same.

Objective claim;
A claim that is actually true or false dependent on logical facts.

Objective example;
A new thing I noticed that The Cheesecake Factory is doing is providing its patrons with nutritional information on their menu items; this also includes the name tags on the dessert displays. It is a no brainer to say that their black-out cake is extremely high in calories. At over 1,500 calories for a single slice, this cake is a force to be reckoned with. When a single serving of this cake contains almost as much calories as a person should consume in a day, I don't think anybody can argue about whether this is subjective or objective.

1 comment:

  1. I really likes your definition for the subjective claim and how you tied your example into it. Its funny the way so many people can interpret the same thing in so many different ways.

    Thats a pretty interesting fact about The Cheesecake Factory!! I am not so sure I want to eat there anymore!!! Good looking out.

    ReplyDelete